Friday, April 27, 2018

Writing Creative Nonfiction by Tilar J J. Mazzeo


4 out of 5 stars  ****


Tilar J J. Mazzeo proclaims something I know, writing is hard. She repeats how difficult it is and then proceeds to instruct me and attendees of her lectures on the concepts of good writing. Some of these concepts are difficult to grasp and consistently apply.

Writing becomes the active process that gnaws at my inclination to passively watch TV or surf the internet, my habits. Writing is work. Mazzeo does not even own a television, even though she likes movies and TV shows. TV interferes with her job of writing. Well, that tells me something about my approach to any writing endeavors. Writing is more of an afterthought hobby to me and not my job. If I want to be taken seriously about anything I write, I must adjust my approach to it.

I want it to be enjoyable but many worthwhile efforts produce joy after sweat and tears. I wish to write something that people regard as a delight, even if the conclusion is sad or horrible.

Tedious research is necessary to write the nonfiction that has not already been written. I write two fictions and experience the time and dedication writing requires. Fiction allows me to be master of the story. This is not easy but it is easier to have such control over all elements compared to writing nonfiction which demands truth and accuracy. If I betray the rule of truth and accuracy, my future in nonfiction, along with my integrity, is doomed.

I read and listen to many books on writing from the Great Courses' Audiobooks and other lecture series as well as "How To" books by published authors and teachers. Writing Creative Nonfiction covers advanced tools for writing a proper book, pitch, or letter for those who desire to become writers worthy of publication. Mazzeo refers to a Travel Book written so well that it becomes a movie, Under the Tuscan Sun.

This course teaches about creating lively, interesting nonfiction from character description, relevancy, consistency of pace and direction so that the work flows to a thoughtful conclusion. Examples of techniques show, not tell, how to write versions of each chapter's subject.

In the end Mazzeo explains what to do about writing, "Write." I am guilty of procrastination on writing and many other difficult tasks in my life. Writers are, too, the author shares. She makes this task less daunting by telling me to just write and the techniques I learn come sooner or later but they never transpire if I do not write.

No comments:

Post a Comment